Tuesday, April 7, 2009

4 Me

I have a bridesmaid dress.  Well, I don't have it but my mom does.  Or my sister.  Either way, someone in America has it for me.  It was ordered from ARIA dress.  It's scarlet.  I think it will be lovely (after a little tweaking by my mom, as we aren't fans of sweetheart necklines.  She'll make them square).  

Before ordering the dress, I had to determine my size.  I measured myself with a tape measure and looked at the charts provided on their website.  It said I was a size 2.  It lied.  I knew it lied.  After some adjustments in our centimeter to inch conversion it assured me that I was a size 4.  Right in the middle of a size four.  I knew that was a lie, too, butI think every woman needs to be lied to like that now and again.  I ordered the four.

Now I know in my head that I am much closer to a size ten.  I can squeeze into an eight in some brands/styles, but I think I wear a ten.  (whatever it is, it's not a 4) 

My mom called me and told me that the material on the dresses has absolutely NO give and that it's x number of inches across.  I measured myself and found that it should fit.  But only if I don't eat much wedding cake or food.  And possibly I might have to suck in a tad.  

But I have a plan!  I will lose an inch or two and the dress will fit perfectly.  I was planning on doing this before summer anyway.  (Isn't everyone planning on doing this before summer?)   Just you wait.  I'll be comfortable in a size four dress come June.  

Too bad Aria doesn't make a whole line of clothing.  Maybe I'll just start wearing formal dresses every day.  Then I can tell people that I wear a size 4.  You know, since everyone always asks what size you are, friends and strangers alike.  Especially in Poland.

22 comments:

Erin said...

I am always happy if I can squeeze into an eight. You are going to look great! I hope you will send pictures. I love square necklines.

Kazzy said...

We are all the same here! I am an 8/10 too, but if any tape measure told me I was a 4 I would want to believe it with all my heart.

Pancake said...

Oh Boy, I am prdering me some formal wear RIGHT now!

Andi Kate, Children's Author said...

Exciting! I remember about a year after Taj I bought some size 4 pants in a Gap...Outlet. They said they weren't damaged or sized wrong, but let's just say it hasn't happened since, so... :)

Anonymous said...

Oooooooooooooh, boy, I hate to be the voice of doom here, but experience has taught me that online formal wear sizing charts are all big, fat, liars. I have never heard of ARIA, however, so maybe you'll get lucky. I think you were smart to get a size "bigger" than you thought you were going to need, because it's always easier to take things in than let them out, but I am going to just keep my fingers crossed for you that it will fit you like a glove, and everything will be peachy.

It's not too late to make one from scratch, you know....

Melanie Jacobson said...

Okay. Don't bake any brownies or breathe too deeply that day and you'll be fine.

I just discovered that I gained four pounds on my husband's birthday weekend so I'm about to go do penance at the gym and then discover what I can still fit in to.

Sniff.

Lara Neves said...

Good luck! That will be awesome if it fits.

I had to order a size bigger for my brother's wedding, because they were out of the size my measurements said I was. I should have gone with the size smaller, I think, because it was ginormous on me!

Annette Lyon said...

Sure . . . you don't have to breathe for a few hours, right?

Becky said...

Breathing is overrated anyway. Bummer about the cake, though.

For a YW activity/value project, the Miamaids are all making skirts. And for some reason, the sizing chart is waaaay off, and not in the good way. One of the girls is a size 2, but she's making a size 12 skirt. What the...?! And I'm not even gonna tell you what size I'm making. It's not a pretty number.

Elizabeth said...

Yeah right, those Poles never asked me my size, they just flat out told me I was fat. And, when I would see them six months later, they would say I was fatter. I think it just made me a stronger person. :)

Aquaspce said...

I bought a pair of yoga pants last year because they were size four...

MelancholySmile said...

I swear, sometimes those waaay overpriced J Crew jeans are more appealing than the similar Old Navy variety simply because of the vanity sizing. Especially after I've had a baby. I'm weak like that.

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

Odds that I'll google them and go buy myself a dress now? =P

Stephanie said...

When I ordered bridesmaid's dresses for my wedding, I ordered the same dress in a bunch of sizes thinking they could all try them on and pick and choose what they wanted and then I'd return the extras. Unfortunately I ordered sizes mostly smaller than they were, so it was a little awkward. "Oh, sorry, I thought you were a 6 or 8 at the most." Oh well, it worked itself out.

Alison Wonderland said...

You're not intmating that it's rude to ask what size people are are you? 'cause it's totally not!

Thora said...

I'm a size eight normally, but I've bought two wedding dresses, and both times I was a size four, according to the charts. And both times when the wedding dress arrived, it fit slightly oddly. Not that this will be a comfort to you....

(I tell myself it's because my hips are larger, so I'm a size eight for things that take in hip measurements. That's what I like to believe....)

Good luck not eating wedding cake - I love the stuff!

Gwen said...

I was talking to a friend who is just done with her wedding and she said that all wedding wear is numbered about 2 sizes smaller than it actually is...apparently that helps the wearer feel better about herself. I'd go for that! She told a horror story of a woman who bought one 2 sizes small because she "knew" she would lose the weight so ended up with a dress that was actually 4 sizes small so no go...that would not make me feel good. I love your blog by the way!

Heidi said...

What Kazzy said (darn it! I hate being late to the party all the time!)

Mrs4444 said...

I guess we're the same size(s) then :) Actually, I am a four from the hip bones down. Above the hipbones, I think I am a true 10. Thank heaven for low-rise jeans... :)

Little GrumpyAngel said...

I guess whatever size we are, we women are just hard to please :-) I'm a 4 but I'm a shorty and I need to get back to a size 2, because for my height a size 4 isn't so good.

Caution/Lisa said...

I love your titles, you clever girl.

charrette said...

Um, yeah, I'm a 10 who is constantly trying to squeeze into a 4. Something tells me you have a better chance than I do right now. Yay for size 4!