Friday, August 6, 2010

More Ways In Which I'm Awesome

By the time I finished reading Evie's copy of Ella Enchanted I quite liked it, but while I was reading it I reflected to her:

"Reading this book I realize that I don't really read books for the story. This book is interesting and it has a good story but. . . all I ever find out about is what is happening." (there was a pause and we both started laughing)

Incidentally a few days later I went to a book store and the book I decided to buy was Moby Dick.
************
Me: (eyes watering) Do you want the rest of my chicken wrap? It's so hot (spicy) I can't stand it.

Greg: Sure, thanks.

Me: (after he's taken a couple of bites) So, how hot would you say that is?

Greg: Like, on a scale of 1-10 where 1 isn't hot at all and 10 is extremely hot?

Me: Yeah. (getting out a tissue)

Greg: Point three.

Me: Blows nose.

8 comments:

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

Hee hee, you're hilarious! I'm with you on the book thing though. I'll take character driven over plot driven any day.

Kazzy said...

Me too. So often I don't even remember what happened at the end of a book, but I remember how I felt while I read it.

Moby Dick is my husband's favorite book of all time. He carries his leather bound copy around like scriptures when he is the middle of a reading of it. Metaphorically universal story, and well-crafted. This is coming from an English prof. "It is about more than just an old man hunting a whale."

Barbaloot said...

Ella Enchanted is one of my all-time favorite books. I think the story is just so sweet---no trashy or lame things happening. Just a good story. I hope I have a little girl one day that I can read it with.

Erin said...

I am exactly the same way when it comes to spicy stuff. Even the smallest hint of spice leaves me hacking and complaining of my lips burning. Thank goodness we have husbands who are willing to finish what we can't seem to!

Alison Wonderland said...

You are so awesome!

Lara Neves said...

I totally agree with you about books.

And remind me never to take you out for Mexican!

Nancy said...

Moby Dick?? Moby Dick!!! Moby Dick is the book we use to show the difference in my book preferences compared to my husband's. I HATE the book. It's his FAVORITE. Good luck.

My husband makes fun of my inability to handle food that is even slightly spicy.

Susan said...

So awesome, it's true. I just read that part about the book to Tyra and she agrees, that's just what I'm telling her all the time (but not in such a clever way :) )

I loved the first page of Moby Dick, and I loved the whole book. There were lots and lots of pages throughout that put me to sleep no matter how awake I thought I was. Those are the parts that Tom liked the most (the technical whaling stuff) But the philosophy is awesome.

As for heat, I don't ask for 1-10 anymore, I just ask him how hot he thinks that I'll think it is. He's pretty spot-on. I will say, I've been slowly killing enough taste buds off that I can eat much spicier foods than I used to. Maybe even up to a 2 for Greg :)