Thursday, March 26, 2009

Paying My Lack of Craftiness Forward

I'm not crafty.  I don't feel apologetic about it.  I like seeing other people's crafts, and hearing about their talents.  I just don't have those kinds of talents.  

I  bake, but that's not a talent.  I'm a recipe follower and I'm also a make-the-same-thing-over-and-over-er (brownies) and an only-bake-very-basic-recipe-er (almost all drop cookies or bars).  I don't feel apologetic about this, either.  

But there are times when I sort of wish I knew how to do something.  Anything creative where you actually physically create something and then you can look at, display, or share it.  

 Well, there is one thing I know how to make.  I make really great ones, too.  Babies.  Unfortunately, I think there are a number of other women who might make the same claim for themselves, so I don't feel that it's some exotic talent of mine.  Plus, they aren't actually give away-able for like 20+ years from creation, and even then they'll still belong to me.

I've seen this on maybe 45 other blogs, but never entered to win because -- I'm not crafty.  And I'm not willing to pay shipping for one of the things I can create.  Then my sister Su posted it on her blog and told me I should really do it.  So I am.  Because I want to get something in the mail from my sister.  But, as I said, it makes me wish I had half a crafty bone in my body.  (I know, I'm one of the many with that particular wish)

It's called Pay It Forward:

Lucky you! The first five people to respond to this post will get something made by me! My choice. For you. This offer does have some restrictions and limitations:
  1. I make no guarantees that you will like what I make!
  2. What I create will be just for you.
  3. It’ll be done this year. {might be a little while}
  4. You will have no clue what it’s going to be. It may be a story. It may be poetry or maybe even some creation I haven’t even invented yet (but Heaven knows it will most likely be totally fabulous and creative… :) . I may draw or paint something. I may bake you something and mail it to you. Who knows? Not you, that’s for sure!
  5. I reserve the right to do something extremely strange.

The catch? Oh, the catch is that you must re-post this on your blog and offer the same to the first 5 people who do the same on your blog.

There are a few things I like about this.  Number 4 implies that there is NOTHING wrong with something that will fit in an envelope.  I can almost guarantee that what I send will fit in an envelope.  Oh, now I've got you all clamoring.  Relax!  It's okay.  I'm so sorry that I can't do this for everyone who comments, but over time, and with a little therapy, I'm sure you'll get over it.  

Also, if you're one of the first five, you could also pay me to not send you anything.  That's the option I'd go with, if I were you.

In case you haven't seen this on 45 different blogs and don't quite get it, the first five people that comment saying that they want me to send them something and that they will post the same thing on their blog, will get something from me.  It's not necessarily the first five people to comment either, since many people won't want to play and will just want to tell me that I should learn to bake more interesting stuff or something. 

14 comments:

Shauna said...

How fun! I l♥ve the way you did this one :) Paying it forward is AWESOME!
♥ Hugs!

Melissa said...

I saw this on my friend's blog, but it was just for the first three people. Two had already responded, so I hurried and made the third comment before I even finished reading the whole thing. Then I found out I had to post it on my website and do something crafty for others. Darnit. I still haven't figured out what to do.

Becky said...

Well, heck, you're cool. I'm sure you'll come up with something great to send me. :)

I will do this, but it might take me a week or two to post it on the ole bloggeroo. That's okay, yeah?

Randi said...

I keep seeing this around, too, but I just don't know what I would send anybody!
If you're giving away one of your kids, though, count me in.

Lesley said...

I responded to Laughadaisy's PIF, so darn, I can't do yours. Plus hers only obligated me to 3 people. I am very much like you though, I make fabulous kids and a cookie we like to call Bear Turds, but I doubt someone wants to find THAT in their mailbox! Not sure what I'm going to throw together as of yet. I may just go down to our fabulous candy store and send out boxes of chocolate. They're handmade by someone, just not me, and who's going to complain about chocolate?

Melanie Jacobson said...

Urgh. Numero six. Have fun with this!

Wonder Woman said...

This is too funny. I must admit that yours is much more clever than mine, but the tone is eerily similar.

Thanks for stopping by!

Kazzy said...

I am not a crafter either, and I am okay with it now. I am actually pretty artistic, but I don't like crafts. I feel like I should whisper that, but...

Have a great craftless day!

J. Baxter said...

If my craft status doesn't put me out of the running, then I'll claim postal-disorder.

I'm HORRIBLE at getting anything in the mail! So I'm just not a good pay-it-forward risk.

So sad.

Susan said...

Woo hoo, so glad you did it Lis, since I am forever thinking how I should send you something, anything, and I never do. I just need a little more motivation.

Elizabeth said...

I'm still having a lack of what I will make for people through this. Please post picture of what you do send out so we can imagine we are receiving it as well!

Mormon Mommy Blogs said...

You are a winner on the MMB. Please send us your information so we can get you your prize.

The Sibert Family said...

Lisa, I would saw baking is a talent. Every time I try to just follow directions in the cooking area, I make cruddy food. Cookies are too hard, the cake is too doughy, etc. This is David writing of course. That is why I feel that it is a talent. Plus you have a talent of writing amazing stories on your blog. Bravo!

Little GrumpyAngel said...

I am the original Miss Not-Artsy-Craftsy. My sister-in-law did this tag, and I did not participate. She knows I love her, but No, not doing anything for anyone I make with my own hands :-)