Sunday, July 12, 2009

The Time I Had

The entire purpose of my trip to California was to see these two people

Micah and Heather. All I can say is they're lucky there's no limit on the amount of good looks that can go into a marriage because otherwise there would have been NO CHANCE for them.

get married in this place.

The Wayfarers Chapel. Probably the second* most beautiful place you could get married. IMO.

It's in Rancho Palos Verdes (CA) and the grounds are beautiful and are just at the edge of a cliff hanging over the ocean. It's GORGEOUS. Here's the groom's family, oldest to youngest, with parents as book ends.

This is on the grounds of the Chapel. If we all took about 20 steps to the left (our right) we would, every last one of us, trip over lots of flowers and greenery and then fall a long way down into the ocean. That's one of a few reasons we took the picture here and not twenty paces to the left (our right).

Afterwards the reception was just down the road at the Trump National Golf Club**. The day before the wedding the groomsmen played a game of golf there, presumably for purposes of bonding, or something (bridesmaids bonded at the super fun bridal shower). At a course like this, I think even I could enjoy watching golf.


The reception was in the building overlooking the course (and that incredible view). Every detail was perfect without it feeling at all contrived or stuffy or anything. Formal, yet extremely comfortable and friendly and happy, happy, happy. Seriously awesome. Here's all the family that were there for the groom (I love them, every one) at the reception. Sure wish Greg, Evie, Dave and Aaron were in this shot!





This collage will give you an idea of what a party it was (and especially how much my nieces an nephews loved it, adults were really partying, too, you just don't see it in these pictures so much) (That's me and my sister's on the bottom, me, Su, and Anne)


But there were other awesome parts of my trip! I didn't take any shots, so all that I have here have been borrowed or stolen from my brother's or I got them off my sister's blog (hence the collages, she ignored my request to SEND PICTURES! so I'm snatching her collages.

Here we are at my dad's wife's family's amazing condo which overlooks the beach (notice a theme here?) and which they totally let everyone stay in even with kids (lots of them).


And guess who else I got to see (meet)? This Lady:






And even got to play with her little boy.






Look at that face. I certainly would never accuse Melanie of lying (especially not after meeting her and finding her as down to earth and smart and nice as I expected), but after having spent a few hours with this extremely well behaved and super cute boy I just can't reconcile him with the boy who decorated the walls and bunk bed ladder that she posted about.

The trip was a blast. I will never forget it and I'm so grateful to my dad and Pam for getting me out there. Seriously. Loved nearly every minute, except when I was crying. Even then, I loved most of those, too. Here are some things that made me cry:

* Feeling the baby move for the first time (at the airport on my way there)
* The sight of (certain) trees (I love trees)
* The beauty of the ocean
* Things my nieces and nephews said/ their cute faces
* How much I love my famiLee (siblings)
* What a pain in the neck my famiLee is
* Saying good-bye

I wonder. . . do you think I might be pregnant? (eighteen weeks!)

* Or the hundred and somethingth most beautiful, depending on how you look at it
** Wasn't surprised to find from their site that this is the most expensive golf course ever built.

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, beautiful pictures! It sure looks like a wonderful time. I'm so glad you got to feel the baby move and meet Melanie!

Melissa said...

Hey, I'm so glad you're back! I was just thinking about you the other day and wondering when you would return to update your blog. So glad you had a marvelous time!

Erin said...

You look great in that red dress! I can't believe you are already feeling the baby move and you are so tiny. What a great trip.

Josi said...

I'm with you on the good looking thing--and it's an equally good thing that getting married in such a gorgeous setting doesn't predispose them to a less beautiful marriage. So glad you got to make the trip.

Andi Kate, Children's Author said...

I missed you. Glad to see that you had such a good time with the fam! Wish we could have seen you--if only it would have been in Sept!

Stephanie said...

So glad you had a great trip just like you deserved. You look lovely and happy in all your photos. :)

Liz said...

Yeah!!! Congrats! Congrats! How exciting. What a great trip to our neck of the woods. Glad you had such a great time! It was fun to see your mom in the pics, too. She is sucha sweet woman.

Thora said...

You look great! I don't know why you thought you needed to lose weight in the first place. So, in Poland do they check for the sex of the baby? Will you find out if they do?

Sylwia said...

congratulations to you and Grzesiek on the baby!! that's wonderful!

Alison Wonderland said...

All that and you really couldn't just swing by Utah.

Erin said...

It was so fun to see so many pictures of you. I love the baby bump. And how fun to see Melanie!

How neat to be together with your family and enjoy the happy time in your brother's life. I am so happy for you.

Melanie Jacobson said...

Ha, ha! You beat me to posting the same pics on my blog.

I'm glad your visit was so fun and I had a blast with you. We MUST do this again!

Oh, and we TORE through the chocolate you brought. YUM!

Kazzy said...

So, so good to see pix of you and to know you are alive and well. Great wedding photos and great you-and-Mel photos! I get sharp pangs of jealousy when I know my blog friends are meeting! So cool.

And your belly is adorable. :)

Susan said...

Nice job blogging the whole thing, Lis. I can just never figure out how to approach big events, so I always end up procrastinating it until it's certainly way too late to even bother...

I have no idea why you'd put #7 in your list of things that made you cry :P

We miss you!

Heather of the EO said...

What a beautiful time!!! The pictures are amazing. The PLACES! The PEOPLE! Lovely...

And Melanie J...I'm totally envious of both of you right now. But happy for you too :)

Barbaloot said...

That is a seriously gorgeous chapel! Glad you got to spend time with your family...and get to go home and see your other family:)

Eva said...

I suppose all that joy excuses not having had any new blog post from you in ages. I GUESS. =P So glad you had so much fun! And the baby moving - what a huge deal that is! I totally cried when that happened to me several weeks ago. Although I wish I'd shouted "It's aliiiiive!" in a maniacal voice instead, because that totally would've made a better story. =P

Welcome back!

Heidi said...

What a beautiful girl you are! You didn't look at all pregnant in your bridesmaid gown and that hairstyle is very flattering on you! (Did the stuff I sent to your sister get there on time?)

Mrs4444 said...

Sounds like a trip to remember. Great pics, and I loved your comment about falling off the cliff! :)

melissabastow said...

For being almost half-way pregnant you look totally FABOLA in your bridesmaid dress. (By the time I hit 18 weeks people just wonder if the zoo lost a hippo.)

Becky said...

It's already been said, but you look fabulous in that red dress! I'm glad you had such a great time amidst all the tears. :)

charrette said...

Thanks for posting all those beautiful pictures. I almost feel like I was there. That chapel is to die for. (But not to live forever for, I guess.) :) Glad you had such a wonderful trip. There is almost nothing better in the world than feeling your baby move for the first time! I'm so excited for you.

And I love Melanie -- so glad you got to see her. (She and I did breakfast a few months ago. I loved her even more in person than in blogland.)

charrette said...

p.s. You must be super-tall. Melanie towered over me. :)

easytravel said...

thanks for share. great picture.Warm relationship between your picture. See you on my blog also. I'll wait your coming.

Marivic said...

I love looking at all the photos you posted. All so adorable. Girl, you are so gorgeous in your red bride's maid dress! Darn, you were in Cali --- so close to where I was and yet so far!