Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Made Over

I've been thinking a lot lately about making myself over. I want to lose another ten pounds (or fifteen. Twenty would be okay, too) I desperately need a haircut (see previous post). I haven't bought clothes in a thousand years and never feel well dressed etc.

The last time I made myself over I got a haircut and new glasses on the same day (this was two years ago). I was quite excited. Until I came home looking like this.


Now, I'm not saying it's the worst look in the history of all looks, I'm just saying that I absolutely hated the haircut and felt like a total dork in the glasses. I would give that makeover an F.

I won't be buying new clothes until I lose the weight (and we strike it rich. Both things will likely happen around the same time) and a haircut can only do so much for you, so that makeover will have to wait.
~~*****~~
Listening to General Conference made me feel like it was time for a different kind of makeover. I got a huge amount of inspiration and am excitedly making changes that will likely soon have me translated (maybe I won't have to worry about the new wardrobe after all, since I think they give you your white robes in Heaven gratis)
~~*****~~
Now, the other part of me, my blog, has been in need of a makeover for ages upon ages, ever since all the graphics and borders mysteriously stopped appearing about a year ago. This has been The Year In Which Lisa Didn't Care, but now I'm starting to care again.

I had just been scouring the Internet for a new template when a friend of mine made an offer that was positively providential (are you hearing Mrs. Spencer's voice? I am.)

There are a number of reasons I am grateful I read Melissa Bastow's blog. First of all, she is Fu-nny. Silly and funny and fun to read. She has excellent phobias and four very small and sweet-cheeked kids as well as a fabulous imagination (hence the phobias, I believe).

The imagination also contributes to her artisticness. She draws, and has a website, Green Jello with Carrots, that offers some awesome clipart and games, and handouts and posters and other paraphernalia for use at church (primary, RS, YW etc.) or home (FHE, Conference, etc.)

She's also branching out into photography, but even more applicable to you all, she makes buttons. Not the kind that keep your pants up or your shirt on, the kind you stick in your sidebar. You know, for advertisement and also to look cute. If you want a button, Melissa is the girl for you.

BUT the real reason I'm glad I read Melissa is because she offered to make my blog over. How happy was I!?! Very. Until it came time to tell her what I wanted. Hmmmm. I gave her an extremely vague idea, and LOOK WHAT SHE DID TO MY BLOG!!!

I really love this new look. It's perfect for spring. It's awesome, and I'm SO thankful to her. She can really do anything. She made her own blog and I'm pretty sure she put together the other sites, too.

Now this makeover I would give an A.

Check her out if you want a button, or a makeover!! (or clipart or a photoshoot)

*Please love my punctuation and capitalization in this post

14 comments:

Stephanie said...

Your makeover's lovely!! I got a new haircut this weekend that I was so excited about, but now that I styled it myself it looks like crud.

melissabastow said...

I've gotta say this is your BEST POST EVER!!!!! Probably because I've never gotten such great praise. I'm going to keep giving you stuff, if it means I get recommendations like this. Thanks!!

Carolyn V. said...

I love the blog make over! It's very fresh! =)

And your picture? Super, super cute!

Lara Neves said...

Wow! The blog is gorg-eous! (And so are you.) I hear you about the makeovers, though. Spiritual makeovers are better anyway.

Lesley said...

I LOVE the make over. It's fabulous! Also loved the pics of the birthday boy!

Kazzy said...

Love the new blog look. And I need a trim so bad. On my hair and my weight. Ugh...

Anonymous said...

Love the makeover, Lis! Your blog looks beautiful and I thought you looked pretty beautiful in that pic, too. =D

Loralee and the gang... said...

popped over here from Lara's blog...I think your blog is really cute! And I hear you about the weight issue...I'd like to lose 10-20 lbs myself! Best if by mid-June so I can fit into my (very modest) swimsuits. Don't want to scare anyone!

Heidi said...

Hey, look, you started blogging regularly again and I missed it! Melissa did a great job--I agree, she's a funny gal.

Melanie Jacobson said...

Ooh, I do like it! Nice!

Andrea said...

Nice new blog--very springy! But I do agree, spiritual makeovers are the best--they last longer than other kinds and make you feel better about yourself, hair and clothes makeover or not!

Also, I LOVED the Mrs. Spencer quote! Maybe some people were saying "Mrs. Spencer? What is she talking about? Who is Mrs. Spencer?" but I love anyone who loves and can quote my favorite movies! You rock!

Nancy said...

Love the blog makeover. I could use all types of makeovers in my life.

charrette said...

I love your blog makeover. I'm in desperate need of one myself. But I have to say, I looked at the photo of you from a couple of years ago and thought, She is absolutely adorable. True. And then I read the post and thought, she is way too hard on herself.

Ben said...

Your border looks like blue toilet paper. Very inviting!