Sunday, May 30, 2010

What My Kids Learn in Primary

Today we attended the Kielce Branch. It meets in the missionaries' apartment. Sacrament meeting and Sunday school meet in one room and we usually have Primary in the living room. Today, though, they were watching a conference talk in the living room so I taught Primary in the other room. Here's how it went down.

Of course it was just me and my own kids. It was time to feed Spencer so I was nursing him while we had a lesson about prayer. Aaron was sitting there very nice and attentive during the opening song and prayer. Before I got into the lesson I decided to help him feel included by having us sing Jesus Wants Me for a Sunbeam. At that point he became very offended and got out of his seat and was generally an enormous pain (because how dare I suggest we sing a song he knows and likes!?!).

Spencer wasn't eating peacefully. Off, on, off, on. Smile at mom, sit up. On, off. Ugh. Ugh. Meanwhile I was having a discussion with Ev and David that I felt was very important. And Aaron was telling us how he hates apple juice (meaning we didn't have any and he wanted some) and whining. And I was trying to not lose my temper with him while also trying to keep our discussion going and getting Spencer to take more than one gulp at a time before coming off.

While this was going on Evie and David had answered my question as to why we pray. I repeated their answers. "To give thanks for our blessings, ask for other blessings and to talk to our Father. Good. Okay, what are some other reasons we pray?"

After a very short pause I backed up and said, "Well, that's good enough. Those are the most important reasons we pray."

Before I could move on to the next question Evie said, "Okaaaaaay. What are the less important reasons?"

And then we laughed. And I was glad. I was in desperate need of some comic relief.

11 comments:

Anna said...

Hi Lisa,

First off, Evie and David sound nice. I'm glad you have those kind of people in your life.

Second off, thanks for posting your review of the olive oil brownies on my blog. I really liked that recipe back when I made it, but I only made it one time. I hope you shared the brownies and had a really great day.

Andi Kate, Children's Author said...

Oh man, the squirmy nursing drill is the WORST! But way worse when there are strangers in the room. Or your father-in-law.

I remember the days of just our family having church (India.)Kudos to you for keeping that up--especially with all the multi-tasking!

Kazzy said...

LOL I have a lot of lesser reasons why I pray! Great comic relief!

Melanie Jacobson said...

We probably have too much comic relief when we pray. There are regular outbursts of laughter. But it makes good memories.

Loralee and the gang... said...

Cute story. Sounds just like our family home evenings (at least, back when I had a nursing baby, that is!)

nicki said...

And THAT is why we blog! We have to keep track of the hilarious things they say somehow!

Elizabeth said...

You amaze me! You stick with it, and your kids are amazing for it. Good thing for the older ones who know when to add some comic relief at times.

Becky said...

Dear friend,

You are my hero. That is all.

Becky

Well, not completely all. I'm just so impressed that you were still up for laughing by that point. Way to go!!

Heather said...

I gave up on multitasking with this baby. I make everyone leave the room so I can feed her. A lot of things are not getting done, but I'm hoping I can make up for it later, like when she falls asleep. So, our scripture study has been getting pushed back, but I just can't do it and nurse at the same time. I just end up yelling at people and that is not good for nursing or scripture study. Kudos to you for being supermom. I like how the first commentor said that Evie and David sound like nice people to have in your life. I need to think of my kids that way too.

charrette said...

I love these glimpses of church life outside the Wasatch Front so I don't take for granted the 80 kids in primary, a fully staffed young women's program, and a relief society room overflowing.

That said, I think what you are doing with your children, one hour at a time, however successful it may or may not seem to you at the time, is so very powerful.

Heidi said...

So funny. BTW, I hated it when my babies would stop nursing to smile at me. I couldn't say "boo" while they were nursing (at a certain age) or they naturally assumed I was speaking to him/her and required a response. It got so bad that I would have to go to another room (meaning, be alone) in order to nurse. One time, great grandma just followed me in and wouldn't STOP TALKING. Sheez! (Can you tell I'm still mad at the poor dear?)